Do You Need To Amend Your Income Tax Return?

Just when you have finally put last year’s tax returns away, you get a piece of mail that requires you to revisit your return and possibly amend the same.  Don’t panic.  It’s not as bad as you think. 

You may have received a notice that the IRS changed a calculation on your return.  If you agree, great – nothing to do.  If you don’t agree, then you must take the action mentioned in the notice. 

If you received a corrected Form 1099, then you may need to amend your return. 

            Here are some helpful hints if you find yourself in such a position:

  • If you are in doubt as to filing an amended return, go to the IRS website and use the interview tool under “Who should file an amended return?”.
  • If it is a math error, the IRS will usually correct the error and advise you of the results.  Usually no amended return is needed.
  • If there was a missing form, you may need only forward the missing form, but no amended return is needed.
  • If you do find that you need to amend the return, make certain you have received any refund per your original return before filing an amended return. 
  • The proper form to amend your original return is Form 1040-X.
  • If you find that a correction needs to be made, such as a different filing status or to report additional income or deductions, Form 1040-X is the form to be completed.
  • An Amended Income Tax Return – Form 1040-X cannot be filed electronically.
  • If you need to amend more than one return, you must file separate Forms 1040-X for each tax year.  Remember that if you are due a refund, there are time limitations to claim a refund.
  • If you find that after preparing the Form 1040-X you owe additional tax, consider using IRS Direct Pay to immediately make payment and reduce the interest and/or penalties that may be accruing. 

Finally, if you find you need to amend a return, don’t panic.  It’s not the worst thing in the world.



Kay Sowa

About the Author

Kay Sowa is a paralegal in the Trusts and Estates Group at Capehart & Scatchard, P.A. She is an IRS Enrolled Agent, an Accredited Estate Planner®, a Certified Trust and Financial Advisor, and a member of the District Ethics Committee for Burlington County. She oversees the trust and estate administration practice for the firm. She is an accomplished author and lecturer who has frequently spoken on behalf of a number of organizations including the National Business Institute and the Institute of Paralegal Education.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.